Thursday, May 4, 2017

A New Beginning in a Familiar Place


Mental heath is a tricky slippery slope. I have dealt with mental heath both in myself and in my work. Actually, I believe I work with it because I had to/and am still working on working through it.

I have been volunteering with equestrian therapy for several years now, as that was my light at the end of the tunnel. I love the animals, the people I help and I really enjoy it. Finally after 3 years volunteering at one place, I was offered part time work.

But I hit wall. My mental health was not good and I wasn't able to face my life, everything I built up to was suddenly overwhelming and scary. I wanted to run away.


And I think thats really how I ended up with Minty, my mint plant.

I was taking some time off due to medication changes and life changes and all sorts of changes that I just couldn't deal with. I was grocery shopping with my mother and found one of those mint plants they sell in the supermarket (well, Whole Foods actually). 

I'd always wanted to try my hand at gardening, but sadly I have a history of inability with plants. But I felt the need to take care of something. I have a bunny (named Fern) and oh is he a handful, but he alone, though patient he can sometimes be, was honestly too much for him. And frankly, I don't blame him. Sometimes there is a thing called too many snuggles before one of us gets mad at the other.

I just wanted something to take care of, and as a plus have something I could see quick progress with. Having ADHD, I tend to get sidetracked easily, so I wanted a plant I would see immediate progress with. So when I saw this Mint plant, I thought, "Why not? Even if it doesn't work out it will be delicious"

This inspired me to start reading some books I had abandoned about Medicinal Herbs. I had had an interest in them before, but the circumstances were just wrong. Reading, I felt a strong pull to make my own medicinal herb garden, focusing on growing and making things to help mental health. I'd also like to make a little sensory garden at some point, as sensory work has done a great deal for me. But that is all in the future.

So starts this new adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment