Monday, May 15, 2017

Got My First Job! Working with Equine Therapy



I am so happy to report that I got my first job! 
I have had a lot of road blocks in my life and at some points working seemed like an unattainable goal. I have always wanted to work, but my mental and physical health have held me back.
I have been volunteering at an recreational center for people with disabilities in the equestrian assisted therapy unit.




What is equestrian therapy?

Equestrian therapy or equestrian assisted therapy is a form of therapy that works with horses.
It can be very good for people with physical limitations as the gait of a horse is much like the gait of a human. It can strengthen muscles. It also can provide internal massage to organs that are normally massaged by walking, but someone unable to walk regularly can gain benefits this way.

It is also very good for mental illness. The brain waves of a horse are much slower than a human's. By being around horses your brain waves slow down to match their's, giving you the sense of calm. It is also a great confidence booster for people with low self esteem and with people who have ADHD as it gives a fixed task to concentrate on.




How did I get into equine therapy?

I actually started as a student. I have struggled with chronic depression and anxiety, along with many learning disabilities. I really feel like it saved me. I was in a really bad place when I started, and I have grown so much since then. I am so happy to be able to help others with this now that I'm in a better place. It truly is a beautiful thing.




I would highly recommend this as a good option to lots of people, whether it's receiving therapy or volunteering. Most places that run these programs are non-profits, so volunteers are always needed. 





No comments:

Post a Comment